Today I was giving a friend relationship advice and it occurred to me that my husband and I have an odd relationship. It works for us. People from the outside probably think we are horrible to each other when in actuality we use the term asshole in the most loving way:) In the beginning we weren't given fair odds of making it very long. I had no intention of starting a relationship and we were young. We moved in together after only about 3 weeks of official dating. Lots of people didn't think we should be together. Oddly enough that drove us closer together. In the beginning it was all sunshine and roses. For probably a year or more we didn't have a fight. After keeping things in for so long it finally blew up. We had a fight that lasted for a week. When the smoke finally settled on that battle we decided that never again would things be bottled up to a boiling point. We also decided that we wouldn't continue to bring up the past. It's over and done with. One would think our new way of thinking was a good idea. Again, it didn't really work. We spent the next four years fighting weekly if not daily. Finally after some crazy things going down in the last couple of years, we have come to a place where we pick our battles but we don't let things go on forever. We rarely go to bed mad. We call it like it is. It's not always easy. When I'm being a bitch I get called on it and the reverse. There are a lot of things that contribute to us making it. Both of us being stubborn probably has a big part in it.
*****I found this blog as a draft I vaguely remember writing it last year. Yesterday we celebrated our 11th anniversary. The truth is I'm not always right, he's not always right. Sometimes we are just both wrong. It's not easy but it's always worth it :) and I still think asshole can be used in a loving way :)
No comments:
Post a Comment