Thursday, December 29, 2011

What I Eat

What I Eat
There have been studies done that while some foods and types of foods are better for ultimately what matters is calories in and out. It truly does not matter (unless of course there are other health issues involved) where your calories come from. They are calories.
I eat what I want. Every Sunday morning without fail I get pepperoni rolls from Ricky D's and I eat one. They have around 350 calories a piece. But to me it's worth it. I sacrifice the rest of my day for a pepperoni roll.  The way I try to look at it is.....
Is this worth the calories?  There are actually very few things to me that are.....I actually stopped drinking beer because it isn't worth the calories to me. I'm sure that there are things I will sacrifice for that others won't. Just as I am positive there are things other people feel are worth it that I could care less about.
Does it taste good? I know sounds stupid but you would be surprised at what you won't eat when you only eat it if it's phenomenal........I have found myself eating high calorie food that I'm not sure I even like just because....
What have I already eaten today? That's kind of a no brainer........If you're going to eat a pepperoni roll you can't also have a steak hoagie, and a pizza.....save it for another day
When I am having a regular sit down type meal I follow some pretty easy rules.
#1 I use a 9 inch plate, I have done this for years......The smaller your plate the more satisfying it will look.
#2 Half of that plate should be covered with non white vegetables. Any type really is fine. These veggies shouldn't be slathered in butter or full of high fat cheese or bacon. Just plain old veggies.
#3 One fourth of the plate should be protein be it meat fish poultry or some sort of substitute.
#4 One fourth of the plate should be carbs, potatoes, pasta, rice, bread whatever your choice.
It seems a little silly to separate your food but at first it's the easiest way. Once you get a feel for the portions you can do it without the separation. For example if I eat pasta I have a large salad first. Watch salad dressing calories! Go for lemon, salt and pepper. Almost no calories and still gives it some zing. Then I eat about a cup of pasta with a couple of meatballs. Or I eat less pasta and have garlic toast as well.
Splitting your calories throughout the day I have also found to be important. If your body has a constant supply of calories it will burn them, if you only feed it once per day your metabolism will slow
Bottom line is you have to eat normal food. You cannot live your life on a diet. It is impossible to live on frozen dinners and prepackaged meals. I am trying to look at my journey as more of a lifestyle change than a diet. Diets have a beginning and an end. When the dieting is done then what are you left to do.....probably gain the weight back. I know I have gained and lost hundreds of pounds while staying within a 30 pound range.

No comments:

Post a Comment