Today I am focusing on my debt/house/spending diet rather than my physical dieting. I needed a distraction and also needed to work in my dining room. On the advice of my insurance agent I am doing a home inventory. I attempted using the online inventory list but it is way too confusing and time consuming. I find it easier to create my own database. The inventory is easier to do at this time due to the fact that I am getting rid of things and also changing from Christmas to Spring decorating so while the things are all out I can easily inventory them and take pictures. When I am done I plan on making one hard copy and two electronic copies on thumb drives. One of which I will keep in my fire safe and the other I am going to store at my parents. While it could happen it is not likely that all three copies would be destroyed at once. This inventory also helps to make me accountable for all the stuff that I have. As I purchase new items I will add them to the list and as I relieve items of their duty I will remove them. This inventory also may help locate things and remember that I have them. Over the last few years I have purchased multiples of many things because I thought I had them and couldn't recall where they were. We moved into our current house two years and until last fall my basement was still haunted by cardboard demons. I have since unpacked those boxes but still find myself reeling at the things I have duplicated. I plan on having one heck of a yard sale or a truckload or two of donations to the Mission. A yard sale seems like too much work and the mission can always use the items.
Here is my list so far:
I am also taking pictures and numbering them corresponding with the database entry:
I am not doing an inventory on anything consumable at least not for the purpose of home inventory. I am however going to make a list of consumable things and the normal quantities I keep on hand. I believe that may serve to streamlining my shopping list making. YES I am a toilet paper hoarder! I like to keep back stock of things like laundry products, cleaning supplies, paper products, non persishable foods, etc. I think it comes from growing up in the country. When it snowed you make be stuck for a week so you had better be sure that you had enough to keep you clean, fed and entertained.
I shall continue on my journey, can't wait to post the pictures of the mountain of boxes that I am getting rid of!
I am hoping that by doing this inventory I can be better organized that has been my biggest fault the last couple of years. A total lack organization leads to excessive spending and excessive stuff!
No comments:
Post a Comment